Contact: Tess Mayer
Director of Library Services
Berkeley Public Library
New Digital Collections and e-Resources at the Berkeley Public Library
e-Newspapers & e-Magazines in 60+ languages, Spanish Language e-Books for children, and more!
Berkeley, California (November 17, 2021) – The Library has debuted several new e-collections and e-resources recently. “The pandemic underlined the importance of free, high quality information being readily available to all,” notes Director of Library Services, Tess Mayer. “Part of the Library’s mission is to provide equitable access to collections and resources that respond to our community’s diverse needs and interests. We want to ensure that we do so in multiple languages and formats.”
New online offerings, accessible with a Berkeley Public Library card account number, include:
- A downloadable app providing instant access to a collection of more than 7,000 current newspapers and magazines from over 120 countries, published in more than 60 languages.
- Articles can be translated instantly into 18 different languages.
- Popular publications include The Guardian, Bloomberg Businessweek, Los Angeles Times, Newsweek, Daily Mail, L'Équipe, Der Tagesspiegel, Libération, China Daily and La Razón.
- A celebrated Spanish e-book collection for children, ages 3-12.
- Includes picture books, read-along books, fiction and interactive books where children can read and listen to the text at the same time.
- Patrons can instantly access items in this collection; there is no check out limits or waitlists.
- Bay Area Consumer’s Checkbook
- Online database with reviews, pricing and research on local Bay Area providers.
- Wide variety of services and merchants are covered such as auto repair shops, car washes, doctors, vets, nursing homes, plumbers, movers, window washers, accountants, mortgage lenders, bike shops, jewelry stores and many more.
In addition, the Library is offering expanded online access to Consumer Reports databases. Now patrons can review the current month’s digital issue, find product reviews and tips for product selection, learn about safety alerts and product recalls, and find information on governmental and private agencies that offer assistance to consumers.
“Consumer’s Checkbook and Consumer Reports are valuable resources for our patrons year-round and, with the holiday shopping season upon us, patrons may especially appreciate them for making informed gift-giving decisions,” says Bae Smith, Supervising Librarian for Collections.
For a comprehensive list of the Library’s expansive digital e-resources and e-collections, visit http://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/explore/elibrary/alphabetical-list.
For general questions on how to use e-resources and e-collections with a Berkeley Public Library card, please call 510.981.6100, option 4, during Central’s open hours (Monday 12noon-6pm; Tuesday-Saturday 10am-6pm) or fill out the contact us form on the Library’s website.
For more in-depth support using e-resources and e-collections, appointments for live, one-on-one help sessions with librarians via zoom are available. Please see the Library’s online event calendar to make an appointment.
For information on how to apply for a Berkeley Public Library card, please visit https://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/library/your-card.
For questions regarding Library programs, services and collections visit the Library’s website http://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org.