The Berkeley Public Library is administered by a Board of Library Trustees [BOLT], the only appointed administrative Board in the City. The Board consists of five Berkeley residents; one member of the Board must also be a member of the City Council.
Members of the Board are appointed for four year terms by the City Council as a whole.
Current Members are:
- Diane Davenport (term expires 05/15/2023)
- Sophie Hahn (City Council liaison appointment expires 01/30/2020*)
- Judy J.Hunt (term expires 04/03/2021*)
- Amy Roth (term expires 01/03/2022*)
- John Selawsky (term expires 05/16/2020*)
* = eligible for reappointment
The Board of Library Trustees meets regularly on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 P.M. Rescheduling sometimes occurs; call the Library Administrative office at 510-981-6195 to verify time and date. Meeting locations are subject to change. Please check the current agenda packet to confirm location and time. The packet is available at all Library location and online.
Berkeley Public Library invites you to a Community Meeting to discuss the recruitment of the next Director of Library Services.
This is an excellent opportunity to share your thoughts on the characteristics that will help to ensure the success of the next Director. Pam Derby, from CPS HR Consulting, is assisting the Board of Library Trustees (BOLT) in managing this process and will conduct the meetings. She will provide a snap-shot of the process and ask for your feedback to assist in the formation of an ideal candidate profile. In addition, survey forms will be available to provide any feedback you prefer not to share in this open format. Both meetings will be an identical format so it is only necessary to attend one to provide your input:
- DOLS Community Open House at Tarea Hall Pittman South
Monday, February 24, 2020 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
Tarea Hall Pittman South Branch Community Meeting Room
- DOLS Community Open House at West Branch
Tuesday, February 25, 2020 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
West Branch Community Meeting Room
CPS Office Hours
In addition, Ms. Derby will be available for 15-minute in person meetings, should you wish to speak with her individually. Please click on the link below your desired date and location. You will then be able to select an available appointment time to meet with Ms. Derby:
- Monday, February 24, 2020 at Tarea Hall Pittman South
- Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at West Branch
- Wednesday, February 26 at Claremont Branch
- Thursday, February 27, 2020 at Central Library
- Friday, February 28, 2020 at North Branch
Online Community Engagement Survey
There will also be an online survey available should you be unable to attend any of these planned meetings. To link to the survey, visit this link:
- English: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BerkeleyLibrarySurvey
- Spanish: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BerkeleyDirectordeserviciosdebiblioteca
Hard copies are available at all library locations, as well.
- November 14, 2018, Berkeley Public Library Organizational Assessment Presentation to the Board of Library Trustees by MossAdams
- Berkeley Public Library Organizational Assessment: Final Report November 2018 by MossAdams
If you would like to comment on the Organizational Assessment please use the BOLT contact information:
|BOLT Contact||Library Contact|
Contact Us (Library Administration)
- BOLT Regular Meeting for Wednesday, April 1, 2020 Cancellation Notice
|3/14/2020||BOLT Emergency Meeting||Agenda|
|3/4/2020||BOLT Regular Meeting|
|2/27/2020||Special Meeting Workshop wit BuildingBlox Consulting||Agenda||Draft|
|2/5/2020||BOLT Regular Meeting||Agenda||Draft|
|1/15/2020||BOLT Special Meeting||Agenda||.mp3||Approved Minutes|
|1/8/2019||BOLT Regular Meeting||Cancellation Notice|
* Note: Beginning with the July 2010 meeting, the Berkeley Public Library will post audio of all BOLT meetings. The audio is available in .MP3 or .WMA formats (requires either the Microsoft Windows Media player (PC) or Microsoft Silverlight plugin (Mac OS X & PC) to play back.)
For agenda and minutes of BOLT meetings prior to 2020, look for the archives on the right side of this web page.
For agendas and minutes of BOLT meetings prior to January 2007, contact Library Administration at 510-981-6195.
Board of Library Trustees Meeting Policy - The Board of Library Trustees (BOLT) Meeting Policy provides BOLT with rules to consistently and efficiently carry out the public comment process and to ensure that the meetings are run with a level of decorum that aids the Board of Library Trustees in carrying out its required business.
Please note: e-mail addresses, names, addresses, and other contact information are not required, but if included in any communication to a City board, commission or committee, will become part of the public record. If you do not want your e-mail address or any other contact information to be made public, you may deliver communications via U.S. Postal Service or in person to the secretary of the relevant board, commission or committee.
If you do not want your contact information included in the public record, please do not include that information in your communication. Please contact the secretary to the relevant board, commission or committee for further information. http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/commissions/)