Berkeley READS is our adult and family literacy program.We provide free literacy services for eligible adults over the age of 16.
- One-on-one tutoring: Learners are matched with tutors for weekly tutoring sessions. Free instructional materials are provided.
- Drop-in sessions: Open sessions are available for learners on our wait list and for those who want additional assistance.
- Computer Lab: Learners access tools in our computer lab at West Branch or at Central, with tutor support.
- Small group tutoring: Learners support each other on focused projects.
- Family literacy: Volunteers visit local organizations, providing story visits and free books to children. We provide special programs for children and caregivers to strengthen literacy skills.
- Special programs: Learners strengthen literacy skills while visiting museums, cooking, and learning about the environment.
Locations and Hours
Berkeley READS @West Branch
1125 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702
Computer lab/Drop-in tutoring @West Branch
Computer lab/Drop-in tutoring @Central Library
Become a Volunteer Tutor
Join our team as a volunteer adult literacy tutor! Volunteers are patient, flexible and want to make a difference in their community. Tutors work one-on-one with adult learners, improving basic reading and writing skills and supporting learners in achieving their learning goals.
Volunteer tutors must:
- have a high school diploma or GED
- complete our free tutor orientation and training
- commit to at least six months of volunteering
- be available to tutor twice a week for one or two hour sessions
- stay connected with Berkeley READS by participating in phone calls and planning meetings
Learn more about becoming a volunteer tutor. Call 510-981-6299.