A VERY POWERFUL genealogy site is Ancestry, available for FREE at the Central Library only. Other sites (free anywhere) include:
1. Find an obituary of someone who lived in or around Berkeley in the "Berkeley Gazette."
2. To find out where someone lived, try historic telephone books or city directories in Berkeley History Room.
3. Check census records—we have 1860 to 1930 for Berkeleyn on microfilm in Berkeley History Room, and the Ancestry.com database (currently available only at the Central library -- please ask at the Reference Desk).
4. To find out when someone died, and where they were last known to reside (in Berkeley or elsewhere) try:
5. Plus, the Berkeley History Room has clipping files on many Berkeley people, famous and semi-famous, mostly from the 1970s to the 1990s.
Ask a library staff member for assistance in locating any of these items.
The Berkeley Obituary Index is an index to death stories and obituaries of Berkeleyeans, both famous and not, contained in the Berkeley Daily Gazette. Currently available years: 1894-1912, 1920, 1923, 1925, 1930-1942, 1951, 1955, 1959-1965, 1967, 1970-1971, 1977-1980 & 1982. Other years are in progress. Call the Reference Desk at 510-981-6148 for more information.