Contact: Elliot Warren
Acting Director of Library Services
Berkeley Public Library
Free Comic Book Day at the Berkeley Public Library on Saturday May 4th, 2019!
Comic book giveaways for readers of all ages and fun activities can be found at every Berkeley Public Library location.
Berkeley, April 18th, 2019 – Berkeley Public Library will be giving away hundreds of free comics and hosting fun comic-book themed events in celebration of Free Comic Book Day on Saturday May 4th! The festivities will take place from 1:00pm – 4:00pm at all library locations. Free comics will be available for children, teens, and adults (limit three per person, while supplies last) and the public programs are open to all.
Free Comic Book Day is an international event that is celebrated on the first Saturday in May every year, in which participating book shops and libraries across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely free to anyone who comes in. Since 2009, Berkeley Public Library has been celebrating Free Comic Book Day to draw attention to its robust graphic novel collections and to celebrate comics as an exciting and educational art form for readers of all ages.
This year, the Free Comic Book Day titles being offered at the Berkeley Public Library include Spider-Man, Lumberjanes, Minecraft, Stranger Things, and much more. Additionally, you’ll be able to get a first look at the sequel to 2016’s surprise smash hit My Favorite Thing is Monsters, take a trip down memory lane with a collection of classic strips from Little Lulu, or get an exclusive story from the comic behind the hit new SyFy show Deadly Class!
Free Comic Book Day overlaps with Star Wars Day this year (“May the 4th be with you”). The Library will offer a special comic from Star Wars Adventures and many of the events will have a Star Wars theme or activity!
Events for all ages will also be taking place at a library near you. All of the below free events happen from 1pm – 4pm unless otherwise noted:
- Central Library (2090 Kittredge St. at Shattuck Ave.): Find the comic book giveaway for Teens and Adults the newly redesigned first floor Commons, and stick around to watch a Star Wars movie. Kids’ comics will be found in the fourth floor Children's Room, along with a Dynamic Cartooning Workshop with artist and educator Cara Goldstein, for ages 7 and up from 1:30pm – 2:30pm.
- Claremont Branch (2490 Benvenue Ave. at Ashby Ave.): Cartooning Workshop with Aaron Southerland – Teaching artist and cartoonist Aaron Southerland will be leading a workshop for all ages on character creation and visual storytelling from 1pm – 3pm. And from 1pm – 4pm you’ll be able to pick up your free comics!
- North Branch (1170 The Alameda at Hopkins St.): Comic-Themed Makerspace and Professional Sketches – Our monthly Makerspace goes full nerd with comic book crafts galore. We will also have three professional comic book artists on site to draw you a personalized sketch of your favorite characters!
- Tarea Hall Pittman South Branch (1901 Russell St. at MLK Jr. Way): Recycled Comics Crafts – Turn old comics into new art! We will show you how to use comic book pages in a variety of paper crafts while watching Lego Star Wars movie.
- West Branch (1125 University Ave. at San Pablo Ave): Comics Buttons – Turn your favorite art into personalized buttons while enjoying a Star Wars film.
These free events are made possible with the support of the Friends of the Berkeley Public Library (www.berkeleylibraryfriends.org).
The Central Library is located at 2090 Kittredge Street and is open Monday, noon - 8:00pm, Tuesday, 10:00am - 8:00pm, Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00am - 6:00pm, and Sunday from 1:00pm - 5:00pm.
Every Berkeley Public Library branch location open: Monday, 10:00am-6:00pm, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10:00am-8:00pm, Thursday 12noon -8:00pm, and Friday and Saturday, 10:00am-6:00pm.
For more information about these events, call 510-981-6100, or the library location nearest you. You can also visit the library’s website: www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org.
Wheelchair accessible. For questions, to request a sign language interpreter or other accommodations for this event, please call (510) 981-6195 (voice) or (510) 548-1240 (TTY); at least five working days will help ensure availability. Please refrain from wearing scented products to public programs.