Contact: Elliot Warren
Acting Director of Library Services
Berkeley Public Library
New Virtual Tutoring Assistance Offered 7 Days a Week
Berkeley, California September 15, 2020—Berkeley Public Library patrons now have access to live, virtual tutoring assistance Monday through Sunday from 1:00-10:00 PM with the e-resource, Brainfuse HelpNow.
Access to Brainfuse is made possible by the generous support of the Berkeley Public Library Foundation.
Brainfuse offers support for a range of students’ needs, including the following:
• One-to-one homework help on a variety of subjects
• California State standards–aligned skills building, test preparation, and comprehensive writing assistance
• Expert support on math, science, social studies, and writing.
Additionally, Brainfuse offers Spanish-language lessons, online study groups, virtual flashcards, and support for English Language Learners.
Brainfuse’s Adult Learning Center offers academic and career support with computer literacy assistance, test practice, writing assistance, resume and cover letter-writing, and live interview coaching.
“This is such a challenging and unique time; we knew that the Library had to respond strategically with a virtual product to help our community’s students who are learning in new ways and in environments outside the traditional classroom,” notes Supervising Librarian Heather Cummins. “By offering Brainfuse HelpNow, we can support our community’s students, caregivers, educators, and library partners with an excellent, high quality academic resource.”
Specific topics and subjects Brainfuse covers include:
• Math, including Algebra I & II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, and Statistics (including AP Levels)
• Science, including General Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Earth Sciences (including AP Levels)
• Social Studies, including Political Science, World History, U.S. History, State History, and Geography (Including AP Levels)
• English as a Second Language
• English/Language Arts (vocabulary, grammar, literature, and reading comprehension)
• A Writing Lab, which includes help with term papers, literature and poetry analysis, book reports and bibliographies, speechwriting, presentations, formatting (APA, Chicago Style, and MLA formatting), lab reports, and college application essays
• Foreign Language Assistance: Homework help for students taking a foreign language class (currently offered for Spanish)
• Academic and professional test preparation, including the SAT, ACT, GED, ASVAB, USCIS (citizenship), HiSet, TASC, GRE, TOEFL, and college placement tests (COMPASS/ACCUPLACER)
• Digital Literacy, including help with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
• Career Services, including support with Cover Letters, Resumes, and Business Writing
Brainfuse is one of many tools – e-resources and virtual and physical collections – offered by the Library to support the educational achievement interests of Berkeley students. The Library is committed to collections and e-resources that support social and racial equity; that provide excellent, timely, and easily-accessible service and information; and that bolster individual and community growth, learning, and exploration.
“Brainfuse is another wonderful example of one of the many tools the Library can use to serve our community and live out its commitment to inclusion,” says Kathy Huff, Executive Director of the Berkeley Public Library Foundation. “The Foundation remains steadfast in doing all that it can to support the Library during these extraordinary times and beyond.”
For questions regarding Brainfuse HelpNow and other Library services and collections, please call 510-981-6100 during Central Open Hours: Monday, 12:00-8:00 pm; Tuesday, 10:00 am-8:00 pm; Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, 10:00 am-6:00 pm.
For Library locations and Outdoor Pickup hours, visit the Library’s website: www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org.