Contact: Linda Sakamoto-Jahnke
Library Literacy Coordinator, Berkeley READS
Berkeley Public Library
Berkeley Public Library Offers Literacy Tutor Training
Berkeley, June 9, 2014 – This summer, share your love of reading by volunteering to tutor someone else. Join our team as a volunteer adult literacy tutor with Berkeley Public Library’s Berkeley READS. Berkeley READS is our adult and family literacy program. Our next tutor orientation is Thursday, June 19, 2014; from 6:45-7:45pm., followed by tutor training on Saturday June 21, 2014 from 10 am-4 pm. Attendance is required for both days. Both events will take place at the West Branch Library on 1125 University Avenue. For more information about this training, call 510 981-6299.
What does it take to be a volunteer tutor? Volunteers are patient, flexible and want to make a difference in their community. Tutors work one-on-one with adult learners, improving basic reading and writing skills and supporting learners in achieving their learning goals. Volunteer tutors must:
- have a high school diploma or GED.
- complete our free tutor orientation and training. commit to at least six months of volunteering.
- be available to tutor twice a week for one or two hour sessions.
- stay connected with Berkeley READS by participating in phone calls and planning meetings.
We provide free literacy services for eligible adults over the age of 16.
- One-on-one tutoring: Learners are matched with tutors for weekly tutoring sessions. Free instructional materials are provided.
- Drop-in sessions: Open sessions are available for learners on our wait list and for those who want additional assistance.
- Computer Lab: Learners access tools in our computer lab at West Branch or at Central with tutor support. Small group tutoring: Learners support each other on focused projects.
- Family literacy: Volunteers visit local organizations, providing story visits and free books to children. We provide special programs for children and caregivers to strengthen literacy skills.
- Special programs: Learners strengthen literacy skills while visiting museums, cooking, and learning about the environment.
The Berkeley READS Office is located at 1125 University Avenue in the West Branch Library, Berkeley, CA 94702. For more information about Berkeley READS call 510 981-6299 or Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Berkeley READS office is open: Monday through Wednesday, 10 am-6 pm; Thursday, 12-8 pm; and Friday, 10 am-6 pm. Hours for Computer Lab/Drop-in tutoring at West Branch are Monday through Wednesday and Friday at 10 am-5 pm; Thursday, 12-8 pm and Computer Lab/Drop-in tutoring at the Central Library are Tuesday, 11 am-5 pm. For more information about the Berkeley Public Library go to www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org.