All California residents are invited to get a free Berkeley Public Library card!
Fill out our online application.
Complete the application process by presenting a current photo ID in person at your local library. If your photo ID does not show your current address, you must present mail that shows your home address.
With your card you can:
- borrow up to 50 items at any time
- access the internet using our computers or yours via wifi
- download ebooks and eaudiobooks
- access library databases at any time
- stream music
- borrow from libraries in California and Nevada
- download digital magazines
- access select local museums with free Discover & Go passes
General information about your card and library account:
- If your address changes, notify us immediately. You can always update your phone number and email in my account.
- Cards expire after four years. Renew for free at any library location with a current photo ID.
- Notify us immediately if your card is lost or stolen. You are responsible for all items checked out on your card. There is a $2.00 replacement fee for lost cards.
- Tool loan is available to Berkeley residents and Berkeley property owners.
- Adult and Seniors can access Discover & Go, an online resource that provides free and reduced price tickets to local museums and venues.
- We offer a reduced fine schedule for overdue materials for Seniors.
- Teens ages 14 - 17 aren't required to have a parent's or legal guardian's signature.
- Teens must present photo ID and proof of address, for example, California ID or Driver's License, school ID, or passport. If your photo ID does not show your current address, you may present a report card, or mail that shows your home address.
- All children are invited to get a library card. Yes, even babies!
- For children up through age 13, parents or legal guardians may fill out the online application. The child must come to the library in person to receive the card. The form must be electronically signed by the parent or legal guardian.
- Teachers, learn about getting cards for your students for a class visit!