Visit the Library with Your Class
Ask us about any of these services when you come for a visit:
- a story time of stories, books, fingerplays on a theme of your choice;
- a tour of the children's area;
- an introduction to books and online resources on a particular topic;
- booktalks to spark excitement.
Ask us about coming to visiting your location as well!
Arrange a Class Visit
Every Berkeley Public Library location (Central, North, South, West, and Claremont) has a Children's Services librarian who works with all public and private preschool, elementary and middle schools in Berkeley. Here is how to make an appointment:
- Two weeks advance notice is needed to ensure availability and preparation time.
- Contact the Central Children's Room or the branch library location that you wish to visit.
- Each group may schedule up to one visit per month.
To schedule your class visit, we'll ask for the following information:
- contact information
- age or grade and number of children
- length of visit
- type of program desired (tour, stories, booktalks, etc.), and any special topic or theme
- would you like free time for children to browse, select, and check out books?
- preferred dates and times for the visit
We look forward to seeing you and your class at the library!
Get Library Cards for Students
If any (or all) of your students will be getting library cards during your visit, simply follow the steps below.
- Download a library card application for students.
- Please be sure each application is complete and legible, and that a parent or legal guardian has signed it.
- Bring completed forms to us at least one week before your visit. Library cards are made in advance so we can spend as much time as possible with your group.
Borrow Books During Your Class Visit
Each student needs his or her own library card to check out books during your visit. Learn more about borrowing library materials.