1. Only residents or property owners of the city of Berkeley over the age of 18 are eligible to borrow tools from the Tool Lending Library (TLL). No more than 10 items may be borrowed at any one time.
2. Borrowers must register with the TLL prior to borrowing tools. Registration will be complete upon verification of the borrower's Berkeley address, or property ownership if the borrower resides outside of Berkeley. Verification is accomplished by presenting the following:
a. a current lease/rental agreement (with patron's name listed as tenant), a current tax bill (in patron's name) identifying ownership of property in Berkeley, a utility bill (printed or electronic, in patron's name) dated within the last 30 days, a piece of mail (postmarked within the past 30 days), a California ID or Driver’s License with current address, a California Voter Registration Card, or an unexpired automobile registration.
b. Patrons who rent mailboxes must provide proof of residency or property ownership in Berkeley before being granted borrowing privileges at the Tool Lending Library.
c. Berkeley Marina liveaboards also need to provide proof of residency showing their current MFLAT berth rental coding.
3. All tools and equipment lent by the TLL are the property of the Berkeley Public Library. Only the borrower is authorized to use the tools. The borrower shall not permit the use of said tools by any other person except by the express permission of the TLL.
4. The borrower agrees that the Berkeley Public Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
5. The Borrower agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the borrower will immediately discontinue use of the tool and return it to the TLL.
6. Before borrowing any tool or piece of equipment, the borrower shall sign a form of WAIVER AND INDEMNIFICATION to be provided by the Library, which will be kept on file at the TLL. The borrower acknowledges that he or she is capable of using the tool in a safe and proper manner, and that instruction in the proper use of tools is available from TLL staff.
7. Tools have a loan period of 7 days. The Library charges a replacement fee for lost or damaged tools. Accounts with billed Tool Lending items are blocked from further borrowing of any type of library material. The borrower agrees to return any borrowed item on or before the due date in the same condition, normal wear and tear excepted, as when it was borrowed. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any tool on loan to him or her. Repeated failure to return tools on time may result in revocation of borrowing privileges. The Library reserves the right to limit the number of tools borrowed and to alter the maximum loan period.
8. Tools without a waiting list can be renewed once through the online catalog or by calling the Tool Library during open hours.The Library reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals. Up to 2 consecutive renewals may be made, dependent upon the reserve status of the item.
9. If a tool is not immediately available for loan, the borrower may place a hold through the online catalog or by calling the Tool Library during open hours.
10. When tools are not returned by the designated due date, the TLL will issue an overdue notice. If the tools are not returned after the notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including by collection agency and/or legal action.
11. The Tool Lending Library retains the right to refuse the loan of any item for failure to comply with any of the above rules and regulations, or for falsification of any information.