Berkeley Public Library is pleased to offer a Chromebook and Hotspot lending service to library patrons.
- A Chromebook is a laptop that runs on the Google Chrome Operating System. Chromebooks use Google's Chrome web browser and Google's wide variety of cloud based apps such as Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Meet and much more.
- Library users can add apps to the Chromebook through the Google Play App store. Users login with their Gmail accounts, and if you don't have one, you can login as a guest and, once logged in,create a Google account here.
- Kanopy, one of our streaming video providers, will only work on Chromebooks through the Kanopy app, currently on the Google Play app store.
- Hotspots are mobile devices that provide the user with high-speed Wi-Fi internet access. Users connect the Chromebooks to the Library Hotspot in one simple step and then can then connect to a wide variety of resources available on the internet.
- The Chromebooks and Hotspots are fully charged when picked up. A full charge generally lasts for 8-24 hours depending on usage, and after that the devices must be charged again.
What are the Lending Program Guidelines?
- Chromebooks and Hotspots are circulated as kits and are available at the Central Library Circulation Desk or may be placed on hold through our Web Catalog for pickup at any Library location. Patrons may also call the Library at 510-981-6100 to place a hold.
- Patrons may borrow one Chromebook and Hotspot kit at a time for 4 weeks (28 days) with up to two renewals if no other holds exist.
- The Library has 5 Chromebook kits that can be borrowed for Day Use only, at the Central Library. Ask a staff member for more information. Day Use kits may not be reserved in advance.
- Patrons 12 and under must submit a guardian consent form to borrow the Chromebook kits. These forms are available at the Library.
- Chromebooks kits not returned within 7 days of the due date will be marked as "Lost" in the Library's circulation system and the patron will receive a bill for the full cost of all of the equipment in the Chromebook kit. "Lost" or unreturned equipment will be disabled from use by the Library.
- Chromebook kits must be picked up and dropped off at a Library Circulation Desk. Please do not place Chromebook kits into the bookdrops.
- Patrons are expected to report loss, theft of or damage to the laptop or accessories to Library staff immediately.
Replacement Fees for Unreturned Equipment
Patrons are financially responsible for damage to or loss of laptops and accessories as a result of accident, theft, misuse or neglect.
Patrons wil be charged the following replacement fees for damaged, lost or stolen equipment:
- Broken screen: $100
- Chromebooks $280
- Power cords: $20
- Laptop cases: $36
Each Chromebook kit comes with a "Quick Start" instruction card. The Library can provide limited technical support by calling 510-981-6100 and selecting option 4.