Sign Language Interpreters and Other Accommodations
To request a sign language interpreter, real-time captioning, materials in large print or Braille, or other accommodations for a library event, please call 510-981-6107 or TTY 510-548-1240. At least five working days notice will ensure availability.
Patrons who are deaf or hard of hearing and patrons with speech disabilities may call the Reference Services TTY with questions about library services, library holdings or brief reference questions. The TTY number is 510-548-1240.
California Relay Service
Call the California Relay Service to reach the Central Library Reference desk, the Central Library Information desk, or any service desk at any library location. Dial 711 or 1-800-735-2929 TTY.
DVDs for deaf and hard of hearing people are located at all library locations, in both the adult and children's sections.
The Central Library has described videos for people with visual disabilities.
Download audiobooks right to your device from our online collection. Our library locations offer audiobooks on cd and mp3 formats.
Adaptive Internet Workstations
Internet workstations with accessible software are available at the Central Library.
- Jaws 14.0 (popular screen reading software)
- Windows Narrator (basic Windows screen reader)
- Windows Magnifier (enlarges a portion of the screen)
- Windows on Screen Keyboard
- IBM HomePage Reader 3
- Wynn 7
We offer this screen reader for users unable to read conventional print due to low vision or learning disabilities. This computer scans printed text and reads it aloud with a synthesized voice. It is available at the Central Library until 30 minutes before closing. An orientation session is required before using the Reading Edge. Call 510-981-6148 for more information.
Extended Services for Library Users with Disabilities
- Extension of borrowing periods of all library materials for twice the regular check out period. Library users with extended services may not renew items that are not renewable.
- Use of adaptive computers in the Library for a total of 14 hours per week, up to 2 hours per day. There are accessible computers at the Central Library. You must be registered as an Extended Services patron to use the adaptive computers. Other computers are available for one-hour per usage.
Applying for Extended Services
- Fill out our application for extended services.
- Return, or have your proxy return, the completed application to any circulation desk at any library location.
- The application process is confidential and the type of disability will not be placed in the library database.
Books By Mail
This free service is offered to any resident of Berkeley whose use of the Library's facilities and resources is affected by permanent or long-term disability. Reusable packages containing books, movies and other library materials are sent to patrons through the U.S. Postal Service. After using the materials, simply mail the package back using the pre-paid postage included in your shipment. To see if you qualify for this program please fill out the application, and mail to:
Berkeley Public Library
Books By Mail
2031 Bancroft Way
Berkeley CA 94704
For assistance or questions please call 510-981-6174