West Branch Library
detail from West Branch mural
1125 University Ave at San Pablo MAP
Berkeley, CA 94704
West Branch is temporarily closed for renovations. For more information see our branch improvement page.
Mon & Tues 10-6; Wed & Thurs 12-8; Fri & Sat 10-6
Closed Sundays - Holidays 2013
- Latino, East Indian, African American, and Asian interest materials in English
- Large Spanish language collection
- Large Chinese language collection
- Small Japanese language section
- Broad general interest collection of fiction and non-fiction titles in English
- Materials that support Berkeley Public Library's Literacy Program
- Dvds and videos, including Chinese and Spanish language
Programs and Services
- Children’s Events and Storytimes
- Teen Services
- Lawyers in the Library
- West Branch houses the Library's literacy program - Berkeley Reads.
West Branch Library was built in 1923, and extensively remodeled and expanded in 1974.
West Branch serves a very diverse population in a mixed use neighborhood which includes Berkeley's industrial area, an upscale shopping area on 4th Street, and Indian stores along University and San Pablo Avenues.