June 30, 2016 - 7:00pm-9:00pm (ended)
A selection of short films designed to challenge our understanding of fatness, presented by author and activist Virgie Tovar. Featured films include:
- Aquaporko! - Aquaporko! is the story of Melbourne’s fat synchronized swim team. We follow fat activist and filmmaker Kelli Jean Drinkwater as she meets the team and uncovers a world of sisterhood, queer community and radical body politics. 22 minutes
- Fatty Cakes & the Puff Pastries music video – This Fresno-based all-girl band follows the tradition of riot grrrl, performing unapologetic songs about pizza, patriarchy and hating their jobs at the mall. 2 minutes
- Heft - In this short comedy filmed in Oakland, a fat, queer, Black woman draws a bevy of suitors and scoundrels. Screened at the Queer Women of Color Media Arts Project Festival in 2014. 10 minutes
- Life Long Weight Gaining - A video of an installation by Vienna-based fat performance artist Veronika Merklein. 8 minutes
- The Fat Body (In)visible - Body acceptance activists Keena and Jessica’s stories detail the intricacies of identity and the intersections of race and gender with fatness; the women themselves find new and inventive ways to be proudly visible subjects through the strategic use of fashion and social media. 24 minutes
Note: Some of the films contain nudity.
Export to Calendar: Add this event to your calendar (iCal).