Become A Volunteer Tutor
We are looking for volunteer adult literacy tutors. Volunteers are patient, flexible and want to make a difference and contribute to their community. They work one-to-one with adult literacy students, helping them improve their basic reading and writing skills, and achieve their learning goals. Volunteers gain valuable teaching experience, develop a powerful connection with another lifelong learner, and become part of a community of learning in Berkeley.
We require all of our volunteer tutors to:
- Have a high school diploma or a GED
- Complete our free tutor orientation and training sessions
- Commit to at least 6 months in the program
- Be available to tutor twice a week for 1-2 hours each session
- Stay in touch with the Berkeley Reads office through monthly reports, quarterly phone calls and lesson-planning meetings
We're here to offer whatever assistance we can to help tutoring pairs succeed. Please call 510-981-6299 to learn more about becoming a volunteer tutor and to find out about other ways to volunteer in our program.