Placing Holds on Library Materials
You may place a hold on most library items via the Catalog. Magazines, some paperbacks and some tools may not be reserved. You may have up to 12 reserves on your record. DVD's, VHS tapes, and music CDs are limited to 8 reserves per item type.
- Find the item you want in the Catalog.
- Click on the "Hold this for me!" button from the buttons located along the top or bottom of the screen.
- You will be prompted for your name and your library barcode.
- Choose the location where you want to pick up your item.
- If you have given us your email address you will receive an email message stating your item has arrived at the pickup location you designated. If you have not supplied an email address, you will receive an automated phone call. Once filled, your hold will be held for 7 days.
- Please remember to log-out of the catalog when finished.
Link+ is a cooperative project among dozens of academic and public libraries. It allows library cardholders to request books from these other libraries when the title they want is not available at the Berkeley Public Library. Typically Link+ items arrive at the Library 2-4 days after you request them. We will hold items for you for 10 days. Items go out for 3 weeks, and if there are no other holds, can be renewed once for 14 more days. Be aware the fine for overdue Link+ materials is $1.00/day. The fee for lost or damaged Link+ items is $115.00. Click here for more information about Link + . Link+ is FREE.
Notifying You About Reserves
Email - If you supply an email address when you apply for your library card, the Library communicates with you only through email. Keep your email address current. Telephone - If you did not give an email address, the automated telephone system calls you. The message states only that materials are being held at the Library you designated. It does not announce your name or any information about your materials. U.S. Mail - If you have not supplied an email address or a telephone number, the Library mails you a printed notice.